Thursday, January 20, 2011

Rewards of Being a Dad

My two kids are the single most important thing in my life.  They are what keeps me grounded and focused at the same time.

For over 10 years now I've been lucky enough to be a work-from-home dad and watch their personalities grow to the young minds they are today.  Through all my accomplishments and travels THAT is what I am most proud of.

When our daughter was born I had quite a load on my shoulders.  Between going to college full time and interning at the local news station to working 2 jobs- I was literally running around trying to find my head.  But when my little girl was born all I can remember is walking her whiskly down the hospital hallway and just staring at her big blue crusty eyes.  The nurses actually had to track me down because before I knew it I was almost out the door with her.  I was just so tranced that I didn't know what I was doing nor did I care.

Unfortunately work and school called and I had to get back to my old routine.  I remember being away from home so often that I often wondered if my daughter would recognize me when I got back home that night.

When my son was born I was in a better state, but it wasn't without struggle.  A few months before birth my wife was let go from her job.  They claimed she did an error but I knew it was because she was 6 months along and they didn't want to pay maternity leave.  We fought it and nothing.  So I went to work for 2 jobs again, while still going to school.  But a few weeks before the due date I hit a revelation and my idea for my ebay business shot in my head.  Soon enough I was rolling and that first month I made more money than I did at both jobs I worked at.  I soon quit and have been at home ever since.

It was a real treat to be able to take care of our son the way my wife took care of our daughter.  I changed the diapers, made his bottle, played around as much as I could and watched them grow up before my eyes.

Now here I am... still at home... still watching them grow, and all I can see is my influence that I have left on them over the years.  Many good, some not so much but workable.  I see the same interests in my daughters eyes that I had growing up and it makes me proud that she looks up to me.  12 years old and she is still daddy's little girl.  I know one day it may stop being that way, but I have patience enough that it won't last long.

When I was growing up I had everything I ever wanted physically, but mentally not so much.  I learned early on that life is not about material things, how much you earn or how successful in business you are.  It's about living; it's about loving; and it's about learning.  And lastly.... it's about instinct.  As a parent you may not know everything you are supposed to do... I knew nothing about kids when my daughter was born.  I've never even held a baby before, but I knew that all I needed to do was be patient and go off what my kids give me.

There is no set formula for child raising.  It's all about just being there while being the best person and role model you can be.  The rest will happen all on its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment