Tuesday, March 29, 2011

My Grandfather Passed

Well, actually it was my step grandfather.  Funny thing is I am quite conflicted with this news.  I mean I feel I should have some reaction to it but I really don't.  I don't know how to take that.

The last time I saw him was after my 4th grade year (when I was only 9).  I went to stay with my grandmother and step grandfather for a few months that summer in Illinois.  All I really remember about him was that he was a hard ass.  He never allowed me to have any friends over, he took me fishing and told me after it was cooked that I had to eat everything that I caught that day myself, and he use to spank me with the side of an arrow.  I guess it was more inventive than a belt.  In spite of those 3 things I really never had an issue with him.  But when my real grandmother died a few years later I just assumed that he was no longer a part of my immediate family because he was never blood to begin with.  Not to mention, I never really knew him in the first place.

I still feel like I should feel something though.  I even thought for a second what if the call was about my own father passing away.  How would I feel?  Would I stop everything I was doing and reflect?  Would I even cry a tear?  Like my step grandfather, I never really knew my dad at all, even though we lived in the same household until I was 18. 

A part of me feels I should be there at the funeral for my families sake.  But I don't know.  I'll have to see how things go.

No comments:

Post a Comment