Tuesday, November 6, 2012

I Didn't Vote Today

I know this post will get some backlash from many people but I feel it needs to be said.  I DIDN'T VOTE TODAY!  There I said it again... man it feels good a little bit.  I mean a part of me feels a bit guilty for not fulfilling my civic duty and I'm sure I would get a ton of likes to this blog if the title read I DID VOTE TODAY!  But in truth I feel I am doing my duty by choosing not to. 

I guess a little part of it is laziness... not because I didn't want to stand in line for an hour or so but because I never registered to vote in the first place.  So even if I wanted to today I'm sure it would be a tough road to accomplish.  But really I just don't care who wins either way.  Yes I listened to all of the debates and followed along with CNN on who does what, and yes I am a bit partial to Obama for reasons I can't really tell you if asked.  But mostly I didn't vote because I don't really believe in a system that divides our country so much.  I have never considered myself part of a political party because I feel to do so would compromise me to a degree.  How are we supposed to move forward if we are too busy fighting each other.  It just doesn't make sense.

I also have a hard time in doing something where I feel pressured to do so otherwise I am considered un-American.  Don't get me wrong, I completely understand the value of people voting for who they believe will be the better person to lead our country and more power to those who feel that strongly.  Personally though I don't think the country is going to be THAT much different regardless of who wins.  In one hand I am happy to receive extra benefits because I fall into a certain tax bracket, but on the other hand if that was taken away and someone else benefited then I would be just as happy.  I'm not selfish by any means when it comes to what I get from the government.  If they are willing to put some extra money in my pocket I'll take it... otherwise I'll live. 

Regardless of who wins; tomorow's sun will still rise, the birds will still churp and I will still make sure that I do everything I can to make my own future (with or without the governments help).  And who knows... maybe in 4 years from now I'll finally get my lazy ass to register if I feel compelled enough to pick someone I truly believe in.  But until that time comes I reserve my right to stay silent.

No comments:

Post a Comment