Wednesday, November 14, 2012

5 Things You Don't Know About Me

Seeing as I am a person that doesn't really open up to people about my past (well in person anyhow), I thought I would dedicate this post to things you may not know about me.  Many people who read this will know me as a photographer and dad that lives in the Los Angeles area that likes to go on trips for work and fun.  But there is much more to me that I rarely tell anyone that has helped shape the person I am today.

#1- Not a black belt:  There are people that know I have taken Tang Soo Do karate and for the most part I have led them to believe I am a true black belt.  In reality I never made it that far.  I studied for several years when I was still in Houston.  I advanced through the rankings quite quickly due to my dedication to learn and quick feet/hands.  About a year into it I tore my ACL in my knee but carried on anyhow.  Before I could fully recover my family ended up moving 1000 miles north to Missouri.  I searched for a new place to continue my learning but never found one that worked so I practiced at home and studied on my own.  Officially I am not a certified blackbelt in Tong Soo Do karate but mentally I feel I got there (as I know I would have if I would have stayed in Houston).

#2- Worked as a caregiver:  I once worked with mentally challenged adults in their own homes for over a year.  I worked an average of 70 hours per week (mostly the overnight shift since I was in college).  I would arrive around 10pm or so when the clients were sleeping and make sure they got ready in the morning for their work or schooling.  I did this for 6 to 7 days a week which made our first 6 months of marriage quite crazy.  Every now and then though I would find a way to sneak my wife overnight.  I finally left when they suspended me for 2 weeks without pay because a client told someone I beat him.  After the 2 weeks they found he was lying and said I could come back- although without any compensation for the time lost.  I told them I refuse to work for a place that can send me home at anytime without pay based on an accusation so I quit on the spot.

#3- An Alter Boy and Boy Scout:  When I was younger my mom did everything she could to keep me active outside of the house.  Being a devout Catholic she took me to Sunday school every week and somehow I became an altar boy.  I can't quite remember how long I did that for but every few Sundays I would be seated near the preast and help out during service (all while dressed in a white gown).  I even helped with a few funerals and baptisms.  Boy Scouts was the other thing my mom put me through.  Although there were many times that I truly hated it, I see now that I am older how it has benefited me.  Since my dad was a deadbeat my mom took it upon herself to accompany me on the camping trips and functions.  I will always love her for that!  I was a Life Scout (almost an Eagle Scout) when I was uprooted to Missouri and never was able to finish- much like the karate thing.  However, I always consider myself an Eagle Scout because I did do all of the requirements I needed to do.

#4- Virgin until I met my wife:  I had many girlfriends growing up.  There was actually a three year period of time where I didn't go more than a week without dating someone, but during that time I never slept with any of them.  It wasn't a religious choice by any means but simply just never wanted to be THAT GUY.  I treated a girl with respect and just wanted to have fun but I never felt like any of them were the one that I could settle down with.  I even left a girls house who was literally all over me half naked.  No I never had gay tendancies... I just truly wanted to be with someone that I cared about and that didn't happen until I met my now wife.  We've been together for almost 18 years now (16 married) and I wouldn't change a thing.

#5- Stay at home dad:  After my daughter was born we were swamped trying to make ends meet.  I was going to college full time, plus interning for free at the local NBC newstation, plus working two jobs while trying to be a dad for the first time.  So when my son was born a few years later I decided something different that would ultimately change our lives for the better- I started my own internet based business.  Within 3 months I was able to quit my computer software job at the college and work from home.  As my wife went back to work I found myself being the person that raised our kids during the day.  From changing diapers to feedings and teaching them how to walk.  I pretty much have been home ever since- beit a few temp jobs here and there when times were slow.  I love being a stay at home dad although it often did make my wife jealous :)  This was truly one of my proudest times in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment