Friday, February 11, 2011

Temptation is A 5 Letter Word

Ugggghhhh. I hate this feeling.  You know... that feeling of wanting something that you know you don't really need!

5 years ago I purchased a brand new Mazda RX-8.  I spend hours working up a deal on that car and getting them to lower the price and the APR to almost nothing.  I even got the managers involved with the deal as I worked them to death.  In the end we were $500 away from my asking price and I was not budging.  Finally I told them that I know they are spending x amount of dollars in interest to have this car just sitting on their lot and it has already been there for several weeks.  I told them if they don't drop the price another $500 then they will spend more than that in taxes alone.  Might as well give it to me now and save them the hassel.  Sure enough they did just that AND gave me a 0.9 interest rate to boot.

For about a year I enjoyed driving that car everywhere I went.  Even got it up to 135 mph on the highway once just to see what it could do.  Sadly though I got rid of it.  With the gas hike in 2007 I realized I really didn't need that kind of car nor the bad gas mileage it gave me.

Here I am 4 years later still craving that car.  The Mazda dealership sent me a flyer in the mail yesterday and I made the mistake of logging into their website to see if they had any RX-8s in stock and sure enough they had one.  It just starred at me with that pitiful look daring me to go to the dealership and buy it.  Knowing I was heading down a dangerous path I quickly exited from the dealership website, but unfortunately the image is still in my head. 

Out of all of the cars I have owed THAT was the one I miss the most.  Bad part is I can easily afford it.  I could go to the dealership now and pay them in full to own the car outright.  But my will power must succeed.  I am very comfortable with my current car now and have no need in getting a new one.  But the human in me WANTS what it WANTS.  UUGHHHHH!!!!

The main thing stopping me is that I promised my daughter that I would give her my current Nissan in 3 years (when she is ready to get her drivers license).  But even she said she'd rather me get the Mazda again.  Maybe she thinks she would eventually get that RX-8 in the future but hell no to that.

3 more years..... 3 more years..... 3 more years.....

No comments:

Post a Comment