Thursday, February 3, 2011

Are You Consumed By Negativity?

My cell phone drowned today.  I would like to call it a suicide attempt but really I just forgot it was in my swimsuit pocket.  It was dark, I had other things on my mind, and well face it... I was just negligent.  I'm such a bad user I know.  Funny thing is I've been meaning to get a new cell phone anyway.  Which made me think about how things happen for a reason.

So many times we focus on the negative things in life and not enough on everything else.  For instance: a person wakes up late because their alarm didn't go off.  Suddenly, they are rushing around to get ready and everything that could go wrong actually starts to.  The toaster burns your bread; you spill jelly on your shirt; your gas tank reads empty on the way to work and so on.  Before you know it you are blaming everything you go through on having a bad day.  But in reality it's not the day that has gone sour but your way of thinking.

There are many times in life when you stub your toe, drop something on the floor or forget your keys and you think nothing of it.  You simply just shake it off and go on your way.  But when they happen in a row suddenly you become so aware of it that you let the rest of the day be ruined by your negative thoughts.  That not only effects you but others around you.

The key is to recognize when these toughts start to enter your mind and to find a way to change them immediately.  If you left your lunch at home, don't dwell on the fact that you are miserable but think of a way to get around it and move on.  If you begin to notice a few bad things in a row then start to focus on what good things happened that day (or even near misses that you escaped from).  Don't focus on the coffee you spilt but perhaps the near accident that you eluded on the way to work.  Maybe next time when your alarm doesn't sound and you end up late to work you can be relieved that you made it there safe without even a speeding ticket on your record.  Or if you did get a speeding ticket it was to warn you to slow down because an accident was just ahead.

It's these simple ways that can change your perspective from a dreaded "get out of my way" day to a more pleasant one.  Not only will you start to see the stress lifted from your life but others will notice the change in you as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment